Why Girl Scouts
For more than 100 years, Girl Scouts has been building girls of courage, confidence, and character who make the world a better place. Girl Scouts unleashes the G.I.R.L. (Go-getter, Innovator, Risk-taker, Leader)™ in every girl, preparing her for a lifetime of leadership.
The Girl Scout Leadership Experience is our one-of-a-kind leadership development program for girls, with proven results. Based on time-tested methods and research-backed programming, it helps girls take the lead—in their own lives and in the world.
Research shows that girls learn best in an all-girl, girl-led, and girl-friendly environment. That's the Girl Scout difference. Girl Scouts is a place where she’ll practice different skills, explore her potential, take on leadership positions—and even feel allowed to fail, dust herself off, get up, and try again. Girl Scouts is proven to help girls thrive in five key ways as they:
- Develop a strong sense of self
- Seek challenges and learn from setbacks.
- Display positive values.
- Form and maintain healthy relationships.
- Identify and solve problems in the community.
Research also shows that Girl Scouts demonstrate more well-rounded lifestyles and a stronger propensity for success than non-Girl Scouts. Compared to non–Girl Scouts, Girl Scouts are more likely to:
- Exhibit strong leadership outcomes, like having a strong sense of self
- Take an active role in decision-making
- Earn “excellent” grades
- Expect to graduate college
- Aspire to STEM, business, and law careers
- Participate in money management activities, like how to spend and save
It's not just for girls! There are great reasons for adults to join as well. Whether you’re a parent or community member, we have a way for you to get involved. Plus, Girl Scouts provides great resources and research-based insight for caregivers of girls. Check out our Girl Scout Family Connection (español) for more helpful tips.