The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting
In September, Girl Scouts of the USA will release a brand new resource for girls, The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting
. There will be six guides, one for each program age level. These easy-to-use resources support the national leadership journeys
, while giving girls and leaders a Girl Scout Leadership Experience rich with variety, choice, and relevance.
Each guide includes information about Girl Scouting, badges and awards:
- Girl Scout history and traditions
- My Girl Scouts section - a section for each girl to document her experiences; includes pages to scrapbook, draw, journal or save special moments.
- Legacy Badges in seven progression-based areas
- The Girl Scout Way
- First Aid
- Financial Literacy Badges (two badges, earn one per year)
- Cookie Business Badges (two badges, earn one per year)
- Make Your Own Badge instructions
- Bronze, Silver and Gold Award information for Girl Scout Juniors through Ambassadors
- Teen leadership awards
- Program Aide
- Counselor in Training (I and II)
- Volunteer in Training
- New and updated awards
- Safety Award
- Journey Summit
- My Promise, My Faith
All badges will have five steps and each step will offer three choices.
Skill Building Badges
Additional Skill Building Badge sets will complement each of the three current journey series for Girl Scout Brownies through Seniors. Topics include:
- Healthy Living
- Digital Art
- Science & Technology
- Practical Life Skills
- Do It Yourself
- Creative Play
Skill Building Badge sets will be available for purchase separately from The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting.
What you need to know
Girl Scout Daisies will continue to earn petals. Petals will be tied to the Flower Friends found in their journeys and offer brand new activities. Daisies will also be able to earn Financial Literacy and Cookie Business Leaves.
The transition from all current handbooks and badge books will be completed by September 30, 2012.
Although specifically tailored for girls, The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting can be used as a leader resource as well. An adult guide is not necessary or available. Please continue to use the How to Guide... journey companion books for adults, Transforming Leadership and It's Your Journey—Customize It! for support in delivering the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
11th Anniversary, Operation Thin Mint Sendoff Celebration
Saturday, May 4
USS Midway, 910 N. Harbor Dr.
Everyone's invited to join Girl Scouts, friends, families, cookie customers, VIPs and military troops aboard USS Midway for this exciting free event. Enjoy live music, girl activities, photo opportunities and special surprises, and watch the Girl Scouts' top cookie sellers arrive by helicopter. All Girl Scouts receive a star patch and a mini flag.
Activities begin at 8:15 a.m. Program is 9-10 a.m.
- USS Midway is wheelchair accessible and close to bus, trolley and train stops
- Service project opportunity: Bring a non-perishable food item for military families in need.
Questions? (619) 610-0807 or visit www.sdgirlscouts.org/otm