Reports to: Adult learning specialist, adult learning manager
Term: One year; may be reappointed annually
Function: Welcome new leaders and introduce them to Girl Scout resources, including the service unit team, service unit meetings, troop support and training.
- Positive attitude for learning new things.
- Able to work productively and respectfully with people of diverse cultures, abilities, personalities, ages and backgrounds.
- Email and internet capabilities for efficient communication, document sharing and research.
- Promotion of Girl Scouts San Diego policies, standards and procedures.
- Honor and live by the Girl Scout Law.
- Serve as a positive role model to girls, troop leaders, parents, other organization members, staff and the public.
- Understand and articulate the Girl Scout Leadership Experience, the Leadership Keys, Processes and Outcomes and how they support the girl program.
- Have the time and energy to devote to the position.
- Adopt a flexible schedule to accommodate the diverse needs of the other volunteers.
- Share best practices and new ideas for having a successful troop.
- Complete mentorship training.
- Practice positive communication skills; be able to give and receive constructive feedback.
- Embrace opportunities for personal growth and enrichment.
- Maintain positive relationships with Girl Scouts San Diego staff, service unit teams, troop parents, community partners and new leaders.
- Provide an evaluation of the experience.
- Repeat the mentoring process with others.
- Celebrate successes.
- Be a registered member “in good standing” with current volunteer paperwork and background clearance on file.
- Complete the required training progression relevant to new leaders.
- Mentor a minimum of 1 troop per membership year.
- Participate in scheduled new leader check-ins and mentor training, and read troop mentor e-newsletter.
- Comply with Volunteer Essentials guidelines and Safety Activity Checkpoints.
- Accept and comply with Girl Scouts of the USA and Girl Scouts San Diego Council policies, procedures and guidelines.