Girl Scouts' 100th Anniversary Event and Activity FAQs
The Girl Scouts' centennial offers girls the chance to celebrate and take action in ways that will define a generation. How girls wish to honor the 100th Anniversary of Girl Scouting is up to them - whether they plant 100 trees
, donate 100 pounds of food
, or hike 100 miles
! We challenge all girls in the San Diego council to lead a certified 100th Anniversary event/activity to honor our founder Juliette Gordon Low, honor earth, and honor our powerful sisterhood of Girl Scouting.
October 1, 2011 - December 31, 2012
Year of the Girl: Ensuring that every girl has the skills and opportunities to reach her fullest potential.To fulfill the Year of the Girl: theme, anniversary events/activities must incorporate the Leadership Keys (Discover, Connect and Take Action) being mindful to use girl-led, learning-by doing, and cooperative learning as the basis for girl activities. The goal of the Year of the Girl is to provide girls of all levels opportunities to build and practice their leadership, whether they're planning an event or activity.
Girl Scouts Forever Green (GSFG) - This Girl Scouts of USA 100th Anniversary Take Action Project is a national effort of girls leading their families, schools, and communities in improving the environment and protecting natural resources. GSFG invites girls to Take Action on three major projects, completed in assigned months. Participants are also encouraged to take an Online Pledge stating their yearlong commitment to GSFG efforts. We encourage every member to Take Action and participate in GSFG! Girl Scout Leadership Experience (GSLE) connection: GSUSA Take Action project = GSLE built in!
She & Me Fashion Show - Highlight the changing world of women's fashion from 1912 to now. GSLE connection: Feature fashions created and modeled by girls.
Traditional Campout - Experience camping before the era of pop-up tents, gas stoves and sleeping bags. GSLE connection: Camper council leads planning, girls build connections to the past exploring simpler times.
Girl Scout Birthday Week Celebration - Girls discover past "day themes" (i.e. housekeeping, service, outdoor) then create modern equivalents based on their values. Observe either the old or the new! GSLE connection: Girls connect with the history of our organization and express their values.
Then and Now - Girls choose to participate in a wide variety of activities from retired badges and Journey books. GSLE connection: Uses all three processes (girl-led, learning by doing, and cooperative learning).
World Thinking Day - Explore WAGGGS, different eras of Girl Scouting, or past or present participation pathways. GSLE connection: Uses all three processes and leadership keys.
"Herstorical" Workshop - Bring together Girl Scouts of different generations to exchange stories of how Girl Scouting has impacted their lives. GSLE connection: All planning and implementation is completed by individual girl = leadership project
Environmental Project - Take Action or community service projects outside of the GSFG parameters. GSLE connection: Uses all three processes (girl-led, learning by doing, and cooperative learning).
A 100 Project - Whether donating 100 items, serving 100 hours, or hiking 100 miles, girls can create their own individual projects and submit them for inclusion. GSLE connection: Her inspiration, her ideas, her learning, that's GSLE!
- Events/activities must be registered 4 weeks in advance.
- Keep activities easy, fun and girl-led.
- Celebrate our past, present and future!
- Consider including time to educate parents about Girl Scouts and the Girl Scout Leadership Experience.
- Follow all Girl Scout procedures and approvals for event planning, finances, safety and insurance.
- Use resources wisely. Consider redesigning your traditional events to give them a 100th Anniversary twist!
If you plan to have non-Girl Scouts at your event, one week before the date you must purchase additional insurance at $0.11 per person; minimum of $5. Please visit www.sdgirlscouts.org/insurance for information.
- Check out tablecloths and signage at Girl Scout resource centers.
— Templates online
— Event master calendar
— Logo standards/guidelines
— Spanish materials
- Check out historic uniforms (for display only) and banners at the Balboa Resource Center.
- Help Girl Scouts San Diego track the impact of girls' and volunteers' participation.
- Earn a commemorative 100th Anniversary patch.
- Troops receive a certificate certifying your 100th Anniversary celebration.
- Be included in our council's master celebration calendar
- It is free to register.
Registered Girl Scouts involved in planning and hosting/leading a council-certified 100th Anniversary event/activity. Attendees do NOT receive the patch. (Only one patch per girl regardless of involvement in more than one event/activity.)
After completing the certified 100th Anniversary event/activity, planners must complete and submit a survey to the council. Patches will be mailed in two groups, depending upon date of survey completion (approximately May 2012 or January 2013).
- Photo file size should be high resolution (300 dpi, if possible). When taking photos, make sure your camera is set to the highest file size. This allows us to use the photo in various applications (web, print, slide show, etc.). Save the photo in JPEG or TIFF format.
- We welcome digital scans of vintage photos you may have from alumnae Girl Scouts. Please DO NOT SEND originals. Scan the photos at 300 dpi.
- Please make sure that everyone in the photo/video approves having it reproduced or used on the web. If unsure, please download and fill out a model release form and attach it with the digital photo file.
- Videos should be 2-4 minutes in length. If you have old movie film of Girl Scouts, please convert the film to digital format (Quicktime for Apple and Windows Media for PC).
- Upload photos/videos by logging on to: www.sdgirlscouts.org/upload/GS100 or burn them to a CD and mail to: Girl Scouts San Diego Centennial Committee, 1231 Upas St., San Diego, CA 92103.
100th Anniversary Commemorative Patch